Besides medicines which cure infertility in male, it is important to care about food they take and the social habits they follow because, these are the most important factors affecting fertility of men. A vast majority of men (around 80%) can become fertile by having the right diet and avoiding harmful habits which interferes the production and motility of sperm. Only remaining (20%) men need medicines to enhance their fertility.
Foods to be avoided:
Food is a main reason which affect the fertility in both men and women. Certain foods affects fertility in men by reducing the production of sperms and their motility.
· Avoiding tinned foods is always good for health and especially for fertility. Canned / Tinned foods have Bisphenol A (BPA) Bisphenol A is used primarily to make plastics, and products using bisphenol A-based plastics have been in commercial use since 1957. which affects the production of sperms.
o Many researches are being done for evaluating its ill-effects. A 2011 study using the rhesus monkey – a species that is very similar to humans in regard to pregnancy and fetal development – found that prenatal exposure to BPA causes changes in female primates' uterus development. A 2011 rodent study found that male rats exposed to BPA had lower sperm counts and testosterone levels than those of unexposed males. A 2011 mice study found that male mice exposed to BPA became demasculinized and behaved more like females in their spatial navigational abilities.
In recent research it has found that BPA would produce hormone changes even it is exposed in low quantity. (Source: BPA replacement alters hormones at low doses, study finds )
- Caffeine is a bitter white crystalline xanthine alkaloid compound that acts as a stimulant drug. It is commonly consumed by humans in infusions extracted from the seed of the coffee plant and the leaves of the tea bush, as well as from various foods and drinks containing products derived from the kola nut. Intake of caffeine in food would reduce sperm count and sperm motility. In females it would reduce egg maturity and more miscarriages would be reported. Even though there are many contradictory views in caffeine intake most researchers concluded that increase in caffeine intake would prevent conception.
- Fast foods are the real killers of our health and it is no exception for fertility. It affects fertility in many individuals in these days. It is one of the common causes for the increase in infertility rate in the society when compared to olden days.
- Avoid fat enriched foods. It is one of the reasons for the disturbance in the hormonal balance in male and female. In female it is highly recommended not to take more cheese and fat content food as they would disturb the Estrogen hormone cycle in the body which is essential for the ovulation and maintenance of pregnancy.
- Sea food is harmful for women. As mercury content is more in sea foods it is not good to take sea foods and fishes always. It would cause birth defects in growing child in womb.
- Soy is another enemy for reducing fertility in males. It is commonly present in today's foods like energy bars, cool drinks, fake meat, etc. It would reduce sperm count. In the studies of men who intake more soy in their food shows less sperm count.
- Women having thyroid problems should avoid vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower which would worsen the condition of thyroid problems. Disorders in thyroid would be one of the reasons for infertility.
Habits to be changed:
- The biggest foes for fertility in men are alcohol consumption and smoking. When you drink more there is less chance of being fertile. Alcohol directly affects the hormone functions which in turn affect the fertility. Regular intake of alcohol will lead to deficiency of Zinc which is essential for the motility of the sperms. Addiction to alcohol decreases the sexual drive in men and will lead to impotency
In many studies it has been found that smokers would have reduced sperm count. The capability of sperm to be fertile reduced. Smoking affects the DNA of sperm which would produce birth defects in children.
- The change of tight clothing around your waist is essential if you are serious about being dad. Yes! The testes lie in the place cooler than the body temperature. If you are making it heat then the chance of getting pregnant reduces. It is very advisable for those who are working near flames and heat to reduce the body temperature to improve the sperm production.
You may be interested in reading this book:
The Infertility cure: The Ancient Chinese Wellness Program for getting Pregnant and Healthy babies